Third Global Meeting of Global Action Against Mass Atrocity Crimes (GAAMAC III)
23-25 May 2018
Lake Victoria Serena
The biannual global meetings of GAAMAC, a highly inclusive network and community of commitment, convene actors from around the world to make the prevention of atrocities a reality.
The objective of GAAMAC III is to bring together representatives of governments, international and regional organizations, relevant United Nations offices, civil society and academia.
Participants identify and discuss the challenges of developing and strengthening state architectures on atrocity prevention and together find concrete action to improve national strategies and policies.
GAAMAC III will
- engage state representatives, civil society members and experts during three highly interactive days
- combine plenary sessions, working groups, face-to-face conversations and a highly innovative marketplace, which will allow participants to showcase and learn from pioneering prevention strategies
- evaluate existing experiences of prevention and their lessons learned
Following GAAMAC III, participants will be empowered to pursue the creation of national prevention architectures and policies, drawing on the community of commitment fostered during the meeting. The expanded network of stakeholders will work together to deliver concrete actions and strategies for the prevention of atrocities.
What you can expect from GAAMAC III
GAAMAC III will enable participants to analyze and exchange on good practice and lessons learned from ongoing experiences of prevention. It will be interactive and inclusive. Cross learning and in-depth peer-to peer exchanges will be an important part of the agenda on subjects such as:
- what atrocity prevention can learn from other preventive systems such as public health and disaster risk reduction
- the Universal Periodic Review (UPR) as a tool to mainstream prevention
- the role of memory and remembrance in non-recurrence
- how to prevent hate speech and incitement to violence
- the role of information and early warning technology
- contributions to atrocity prevention from parliamentarians, youth, women, religious actors, the media, the security sector etc.
- Manual on Best Practices: The Establishment and Management of National Mechanisms for Genocide and Mass Atrocities Prevention, drafted by the African Working Group
- and many more
Previous global meetings
GAAMAC’s previous global meetings, held in Costa Rica in 2014 (GAAMAC I) and the Philippines in 2016 (GAAMAC II), brought together more than 200 individuals from over 100 states and civil society organizations. Eminent personalities honored us with their presence and their contribution, including H.E. Mr. Ban Ki-moon, former UN Secretary-General; Mr. Jose Ramos-Horta, former President of Timor-Leste and Nobel Peace Prize Laureate; Mr. Adama Dieng, UN Special Adviser on the Prevention of Genocide; Ms. Fatou Bensouda, Prosecutor of the International Criminal Court; and Nobel Peace Prize Laureate Hon. Desmond Tutu.
We are happy to see you in Kampala!