ECOSOC Chamber, United Nations, New York
“A comprehensive approach to preventing radicalization, violent extremism and atrocity crimes: activating voices from actors in the field”
This event aims to bring together individuals with expertise in preventing radicalization, incitement to violence and violent extremism and to discuss creative and innovative approaches to addressing these challenges. The following questions will guide the discussion:
- What are the key methods and approaches to prevent youth from joining groups that promote violent extremism?
- What are the factors that may explain the success or failure of interventions?
- Which actors can play a decisive role in detecting, deterring and countering violent radicalization?
- How can women in particular prevent or halt a violent radicalization process?
- What are the recommendations from different actors, both and non-governmental in terms of timely interventions?
The event is organized by Belgium, Morocco, and the Office of the UN Special Advisor on the Prevention of Genocide and on the Responsibility to protect, with the support of the Global Freedom of Expression Program of the University of Columbia. The Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs and European Affairs of Belgium, H.E. Didier REYNDERS, and the Foreign Minister of Morocco, H.E. Salaheddine MEZOUAR (tbc), will co-chair the meeting.
Before Monday 09.28.2015, 2.00 pm, all guests must register (included delegations from Member States), by mail only: firstname.lastname@example.org